Caring for your clothes
Swapping and upcycling
- Looking for a creative project? Love Your Clothes have a number of videos to encourage you to give upcycling a go – for example, making a dress from a shirt or a tablet cover from some jeans.
- If you have unwanted items in your wardrobe, why not advertise through the York Uni Swap Shop. If they are not suitable for resale, take them to a British Heart Foundation donation bank – these are located on campus at every college. Or if you would prefer to donate to Oxfam, you can take your clothes to a local branch of M&S for swhopping.
- Before you go shopping, work out what the gaps are in your wardrobe and decide what you are looking for, so that you do not buy on impulse.
- Consider buying second-hand or vintage from the many stores in York, or through the York Uni Swap Shop.
- Learn more about the supply chains, environmental ratings and ethics behind clothing shops at Ethical Consumer.
Why not organise a swishing party with friends, or to raise money for charity? Here is a guide to setting up an event.